Sunday, August 3, 2008

Training camp: Week 1

After a 2 week out-of-towness, with only my cellphone's connection to Maiocco's blog to feed me niner info, I'm back and ready to talk some foosball. This is when it gets exciting.

Impressions from camp:

  • This QB thing is being handled with typical Nolan effectiveness: "Yeah, it's a 2 person race." "What? I never said it was a 2 person race!" Anyone else have zero confidence that this will end well?
  • Justin Smith is a defensive end. He played that position for like 7 years. Don't move him to OLB now. That's not his position- it's defensive end.
  • Vernon Davis/Delanie Walker: there is now an offensive coordinator in charge who knows how to take advantage of these guys, and who won't leave a fullback on the field every time he runs them out there.

Overall, it sounds like the defense is going to be pretty good. It also sounds like the QB situation is going to be a total disaster. I'm firmly on Smith's side, but not exactly giddy at his prospects to do anything soon- he should be getting the majority of the reps, since he's the one who needs to internalize information to be effective.

Whatev, if last year taught me anything it's that you don't make any kind of predictions at this point in the year. I'm approaching everything with EXTREMELY measured optimisim, but I'm expecting at least mild disappointment.

COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL BEING PLAYED ON AN ACTUAL FIELD: 5 days