Sunday, August 17, 2008

Additional thoughts and concerns

OK- so when's the last time the 49ers led the league in scoring during a week? Pretty amazing. As fun as that game was to watch, I have a concern.

See, that bomb to Morgan was awesome. Maybe too awesome. I'm a little worried that that one play will overshadow the absolutely horrendous INT that led to 3 points for the opponent. That doesn't fly in the regular season, and O'Sullivan has thrown two terrible INTs in back-to-back weeks. It wasn't like he was even forcing them into coverage- there was no red jerseys around.

And before I sound too homerish, I gotta say that I didn't think Smith looked great. I thought he was better than JT (I would have liked to have seen less running plays to Clayton- WTF? Let the dude throw), but that under throw to Morgan was awful. That should have been another big TD play, and I've seen him leave points like that on the field too many times. I'm wondering if maybe his arm isn't all the way healed, and that's why he's slipping down the roster. Or maybe he's just not good. Or maybe he's still figuring the offense out. That's what the rest of the PS will show us I guess.

Anyways, quick note on the defense: WOWOWOWOWOW. Do you know how many net yards the Packers had? One hundred eighty two. That's 2007 niners right there. Pass rush was excellent, run defense was pretty good, and pass coverage was nice as well. For once, the defense didn't make bad players look good. They made bad players look bad, and made pretty good players look bad, too.

I'm overreacting a bit to this one, meaningless preseason game, but can you blame me? How long has it been since we've watched a game like this? I had quite a lot of fun with it. Here's hoping the team shows up against Chicago- that will be a better test, methinks.