Sunday, December 5, 2010

Officially a Rams fan

The NFC west needs a team to finish over .500. Please God, do not let a 7-9 team host a playoff game. Please. Let it be the Rams, too. Because fuck pete carroll, that's why. The Rams are (kind of..ok not really) fun to watch and are winning for a good reason- they have a really really good quarterback. That's why teams SHOULD win. They shouldn't skate by on luck or special teams or whatever- they need a great quarterback. And they have one. PLEASE let them go 9-7 or better. Please.

As for the 49ers? Well everyone saw this coming. Not at all a surprise, though that play to Vernon at the end of the half probably put me in the playoffs in a FF league, so that was awesome.

But I'm not just a Rams fan because I want the NFC west to be represented by a not-terrible record. It's because I value the long-term future of my own team. And for this season, every win my own team gets harms their long-term future. Each win serves only to take them farther from a draft pick, and each win solidifies (if however shakily) their coaching staff's employment.

Dear god, can you imagine if they'd lucked into a win today? There would have been talk about Singletary maybe saving his job. Maybe they run the table and go 9-7! Sing has turned the corner! We can win with this guy!

Thank. God. A beatdown. EXACTLY what was needed. I want one further, though. I want them to lose out. I've gotten to the point where I will be disappointed after every win and ecstatic after every loss. I'm not a bad fan- it's the exact opposite. The only thing the 49ers can accomplish by winning is to harm their team even further.

Every loss brings us closer to a real quarterback and a real coaching staff. After the expectations this team had, if they finish 3-13, there will HAVE to be WHOLESALE changes throughout the front office. They could not possibly keep anyone. And they could not possibly justify making a minor tweak. If they spend the cash on a QB and a real offensive coach, next year they could win 10 games with the talent they have. Losing is for the best. GO RAMS!

(PS, as I write this I'm sitting at a starbucks in downtown portland with my man purse sitting next to me. I've never felt more at home)

(PPS, I want to thank my uncle for choosing this weekend to get married, so I didn't end up spending 200 bucks to go to this game, which was my original plan when the season began. I can't thank him enough)