Monday, October 14, 2013

That Offense

     Look, I don't take wins for granted. None of us who were around for the truly lean times do. From 2003-2010, they won 3 games in a row only once. Hell, in those 8 seasons they only won 46 games total, or 5.7 per season. So when they win 3 games in a row by double digits, I shouldn't be complaining. But allow me to complain.

     First of all, before we get too excited- who have they beaten? 3 really bad teams (2 at home), all 3 of which have had terrible quarterback play this season. This stretch of games has put them in positive territory in turnover margin, but is that a function of good defense, or really really bad play from the other guys? Both Schaub and Palmer looked like they don't even belong in the league. Truly abysmal. Again- the win is nice. A double-digit win over a division foe is great, but excuse me for thinking that this formula may not work against a team with a real NFL quarterback.

     Second, I know style points don't matter, but what on earth is wrong with Colin Kaepernick? His stat line has been terrible, but the wins excuse that. What I'm worried about is the way he LOOKS. Flustered, uncomfortable, not able to run, throwing wildly off his back foot, stuttering around with no set drop or rhythm. He's completely different from what we saw last year. Is that down to the guys who are missing? I think most QBs (especially second-year guys with like 15 career starts) could be excused being uncomfortable when they lose their 2 best receivers from a year ago. If this improves when Crabtree and Manningham come back, then I'll know I'm just spouting crazy talk. I can't help but think that SOMETHING is wrong, though.

     Maybe defenses have figured him out, or maybe that injury of his really is worse than they are letting on. When you look at the way he moves around, you'd definitely not be crazy to think something is keeping him from being truly comfortable. The Cardinals certainly aren't doormats when it comes to defense, so Gore not being totally effective is explainable. He did what he needs to do for them to be successful, and by the end they were sufficiently worn down. The passing attack is what worries me, though. They have to improve to beat better teams. Fortunately they don't have many "better teams" in front of them at this point. I hope I'm just worrying over nothing.

     One thing I loved: this is one of the only games I remember where Vernon truly looked like an ELITE tight end. He's had big games before, but I don't remember him making the kind of catches he made in this one. The second TD was unbelievable and the play on the sideline where he reached up and behind himself to make the catch, then got both feet in bounds? Totally amazing. Very fun to watch.

     I don't mean to denigrate the win, on the whole they played good and I'll take it, but since the opener the offense has been really herky-jerky and I very much hope the healthy return of players will improve that. The team that played today isn't going to beat Manning or Brees.