Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Who are these guys?

To my mind there have been 3 team-defining moments in this young season for the 49ers:

1. Down 16-13 on the road, getting completely dominated on offense all day, they take over on their own 20 yard line to start the 4th quarter in Arizona. They proceed to go 80 yards in 7 1/2 minutes, their defense holds, and they win the game. A game that was over for me in the 3rd quarter. Mike Nolan's teams didn't do that.

2. Down 20-17 on the road, showing their resolve and hanging tough in the game after losing their best player, they get the ball once again at their own 20 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. They once again go 80 yards and get the ball in the end zone, not settling for a game-tying field goal. Then the game inexplicably was ended 12 seconds early and they're now 3-0. Mike Nolan's teams didn't do that.

3. Coming home after a horrific ending, they now face one of the worst teams in the league. Trap game? I'm not sure. With Mike Nolan's teams maybe. However, I can't help but get a little nagging feeling in the back of my head that even though this game should be an automatic W, it may not be that simple.

Yeah, it's the Rams. It's Kyle freaking Boller at QB. It's a team with zero (and I mean ZERO) impact players at ANY position. And yet, I worry.

Because in my lifetime of following this team, they don't win games like this. This should objectively be a 35-6 trouncing, but yet I worry.

And thus, this is the reason why this game is team-defining moment # 3: a good team wins in a blowout. Good teams drive down the field and get points when they need them, and they destroy teams that are clearly inferior to them.

So, 49ers, who are you? Let's find out, because if they lose this game, and if they crush my hopes as they have so many freaking times before, the depths of my bummed-ness shall know no bounds.