Saturday, September 12, 2009

On kickoff eve...

Couple things:

  • SHAWNTAE EFFING SPENCER is the starting CB. Not Tarrell Brown, not Dre Bly, SHAWNTAE SPENCER. Ummm, yikes. We get to see him "cover" Anquan Boldin. Start him in fantasy everyone!
  • Vernon Davis is a captain. Over FRANK GORE. I've always hoped he'd come around and be a good player since he has so much talent. At least now he's showing that he isn't a psychopath any more. Let's hope the production follows the maturity.

Alright, so with the season kicking off tomorrow I thought I'd do something else we all used to do in the olden days and take our schedule week-by-week to see what a reasonable win/loss expectation would be. I know it's impossible to try and predict the strength of teams in week 10 before week 1, but it's still fun.

  1. @ Arizona- Very winnable game. Boldin is hobbled, Warner is a year older, and they lost their entire coaching staff. Not to mention the fact that when teams lose the superbowl, they suck the next year. Arizona's D scares me just a little, but it's not a stretch to imagine a win here. 1-0
  2. Seattle- Again, very winnable. Seattle will be a lot better than they were last year, so it's no gimmie, but the fact that it's at home helps. Whoseyourmomma is a big boost to their offense, but they have no running game. They'll still be able to rush the passer well with Curry, though. 2-0
  3. @ Minnesota- Gotta say I think this is a loss, and that sucks because I'm going to be at this game. Their run defense is too good for us to go in there depending on the run. It comes down to if the passing game can be competent, because that's where they're vulnerable. We've shut down Peterson before, but now he's at home. 2-1
  4. St. Louis- If we don't win this game, the season's over. They are terrible. 3-1
  5. Atlanta- This could go either way. Their defense is bad, their offense is good. It really depends on if Micheal Turner is still a beast, or, as I imagine, he falls back to earth with a huge thud. I'm marking it as a win. 4-1
  6. So, at the bye I've got us at 3-2 or maybe 4-1. Looks good, right? It's about to get ugly.
  7. @ Houston- If Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Matt Schaub are healthy, we're losing this game by 20 points. Mario Williams gets 5 sacks 4-2
  8. @ Indianapolis- see above, but add 5 or 10 more points. Replace "Williams" with "Freeny" 4-3
  9. Tennesee- Man, that defense looked good on Thursday. Their offense isn't great, but Chris Johnson is amazing, and that defense is incredible. I think this game makes 3 straight losses after the bye. 4-4
  10. Chicago- Again, not very winnable. Cutler, Forte, and a great defense. I've got the Bears going to the superbowl, and I don't think the 49ers as presently constructed can beat this team 4-5
  11. @ Green Bay- Playing in Wisconsin at the end of November. Need I say more? Not to mention the Packers might go to the superbowl. 4-6
  12. Jacksonville- A winnable home game! Depends on what their offense looks like at that point, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the 9ers pulling this one out. Jags' D has gone downhill lately. 5-6
  13. @ Seattle- Yeah, we're not winning this game if they're healthy. I know we've pulled out some amazing upsets there in recent years, but I really see no way this is happening. 5-7
  14. Arizona- Again, winnable. I think Arizona will be about 6-10 or 7-9 this year. By this time it's very possible Matt Leinart is their starter. 6-7
  15. @ Philadelphia- do I want to believe Singletary will have more success on the east coast than Nolan? Yes. Do I? No. 6-8
  16. Detroit- Perfect time for the 49ers to lose to a creampuff at home. I think it's a win, but I'm not that confident. Calvin Johnson is a freaking BEAST. 7-8
  17. @ St Louis- They're going to be bad, but it's a road game. There may be a playoff spot riding on this game, so it'll be interesting to see how the niners respond. I think they win. 8-8
The season will be made or broken in the 5 weeks after the bye. For this team, that is a BRUTAL schedule. I really see 8-8 as the best possible outcome, with 9-7 if we somehow beat Indy or Houston. Fortunately, that could very well be good enough to win the division, but c'mon- this team ain't doin nothing in the playoffs. The only way is if Gore stays healthy, Josh Morgan becomes what we all think he will be, and Vernon Davis turns into an actual threat.

They SHOULD at least be entertaining to watch. Unless they aren't, then it will suck.