Saturday, January 21, 2012

Anxiety (The good kind)

Sorry for the shitty Larry King randomness and syntax, but I'm just thinking out loud macro to micro on the eve of the biggest game in San Francisco since 1995.
  • Mainstream sports media (based in NYC) desperately want a Patriots / Giants match-up in the Superbowl. It would be an east coast coverage orgasm, and they want the number one media market team in the super bowl.

  • This desire shows in their NFCCG picks over the past week. Especially at the worldwide leader (which I find unwatchable), who I believe are in the NY media market, but may be in the #7-ish Boston/NE market.

  • The NFL Network has had excellent Niners coverage, and watching all day Wednesday as I fought the flu, it almost seemed 49ers biased. No surprise they're based in CA.

  • From what I saw, the Saints/Niners coverage/pregame last weekend was disgraceful, what with the premature coronation of Drew Brees and Sean Payton. I'm still chuckling.

  • It was a joyous experience to watch the Niners record yet another legendary playoff finish. I savored the Saints celebrating after the one that put them up 32, because I was feeling pretty confident (and drunk) that Alex-Fucking-Smith would make them pay like the cold blooded assassin he is.

  • The Niners physically humiliated the Saints. Colston alligator armed that dropped TD pass because he didn't want to get hit (again).

  • The Giants, the media, and their fans seem to be pretty confident their team is much improved since November. They act as though the 49ers existed in stasis since then, with no changes good or bad.

  • Giants fans and many analysts who picked the Saints last week like to call the 49ers "lucky". It's like a dropped pass against the Niners is more "lucky" than a dropped pass against, say, the Giants.

  • I hate to agree with Grant (hey what hair product are you using, Alex?) Cohn, but I think we'll see some passes to Sopoaga and Staley. I'm getting a strong feeling we may finally see Sopoaga's throwing arm unveiled. To the detriment of Tom Coughlin's face.

  • A muddy field screws up the pass rush. That probably evens out, since both offensive lines make their share of bad plays.

  • I hate Eli Manning, and want his milquetoast, silver-spoon fed face in loser's dismay at the end of the game. Like, crying for mommy Manning sad. I'll cherish that.
  • Not one analyst I've seen has discussed special teams. The Niners special teams have been heroic this year, and with a wet ball will probably cause a few turnovers for the second week in a row.

  • I can't believe the Niners are in the NFC Championship Game.