Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Draft Roundup

Alrighty, well that was an exciting weekend. What I thought I'd do (and I can't believe no one on the internet has done this yet!) is go pick-by-pick through the niners' draft, and give highlights of each guy.

1. Micheal Crabtree: I've heard of him. I think he might be pretty good. Here's a video complete with that music you always hear in car commercials:



2. Glen Coffee: I have to say, I never saw the guy in college, but from what I hear he's exactly what we're looking for- tough runner who will finally be able to get tough yards consistently. Doesn't need to have amazing speed- his job is to pick up the 3rd-and-ones we've been failing to get over and over and over and over. Sounds like he can. And from this video, he sounds like a perfect Singletary guy:



3. Scott McKillop: The only thing I know about Scott McKillop: his tackle rating in Madden 10 will be in the top 5 of all rookies. So he MUST be good, right? He sounds almost like a young Derek Smith- not going to blow your socks off with speed, but a very smart, very capable tackler in the middle. Sounds good to me. Not much video out there, so I went with Mel's anaylsis.



4. Nate Davis: YES YES YES. I was hoping from when I first saw this guy play this year that the niners would end up with him. Strong arm, excellent mobility, amazing accuracy. I think he'll be ready sooner than we realize, and here's hoping Alex Smith is able to hold him off. If Smith comes around or Hill is good, we'll have some really nice QB depth.



5. Bear Pascoe: Seriously, has there ever been a more appropriately named blocking TE? From what I hear, the guy's an even better blocker than Bajema, but also more of a receiving threat. So when we go 3 TE now, it's not a given that it's a running play. This video shows a nice red zone TD, but is kind of long. For added entertainment, watch their 2-point "try" at the end.




6. Curtis Taylor: Again, a guy I know really nothing about. He sounds to me like another Mark Roman- smart, but slow. He's a really big guy though, so that's a definite plus. The scouting report said he "likes to go for the big hit" rather than a turnover or the sure play. Roy Williams?


7. Ricky Jean- Francois: What? A FRENCH GUY?!?!?! But seriously, Mel sez he's really good but also quite raw, so he'll need some seasoning. See Soct? THIS is where you take talented-but-needs-work D-linemen, not the first round like you did last year. But I digress. This video showcases Taylor's really good Junior year and Jean-Francois making some nice plays before he got hurt.




All in all, I really like this draft. Matt's wrap-up is exactly how I feel; the lack of an OLB pick means they really think Manny and Parys are good. The lack of an OT pick means they're not Terry Donaghue and only take a guy if he's good, not just because he fills a need. I think Snyder and Wragge are fine as backups at this point anyways- there's always stop-gap FAs you can pick up in a pinch.

Should make for exciting times next year.