Friday, December 12, 2008

A Conflict

Boy, do I love winz. You know how many winz us niner fans have had since we last saw our team in the playoffs? 30. In six seasons. 30 winz. That's pretty bad. 5 winz a year is pretty bad when you play 16 games.

So, with that in mind, it sure would be fun to just keep winning and see our team go 8-8 and finish with a non-losing season for the first time in 6 years, right? ....right? It's not exactly improbable when you look at the schedule and the way they've been playing lately.

But, there's the conflict. Not only are the playoff hopes for this team over, but each win is taking us further and further away from a nice high draft pick. Also, if the 9ers beat the Dolphins this week, that means that either Brett Favre or Bill Bellichick will be in the 2008 playoffs. Wouldn't it be fun if both those douchebags missed out?

Sooo...what do you root for? I love this team and the new direction it's headed in, but let's just say I won't be crushed if they lose this game. I really like the story of the Dolphins and always liked Chad Pennington. Seeing them beat out The Bretts and the Cheatriots for the playoffs would probably make me feel better than a few more (mostly) meaningless winz for our team.

Let's put it this way- if it turns out to be one of those last-team-to-have-the-ball-wins kind of games, and the Dolphins have the ball last, and their unknown kicker wins it for them....I won't be upset. That's actually a nice feeling to have before a football game- I'd love another east-coast victory (becuase then we'd have two wins over there when nobody else even has 1), but I'd also love the Phins to win their division.

Football is weird. Am I crazy for maybe sort of rooting for a close niner loss?